If you want to keep your favorite jewelry for a lifetime you should care for it properly, because jewelry looks old and rusty over time. The most common reason is unavoidable: Air and moisture. Even sterling silver jewelry can appear a little discolored or dirty over time. So I will try to give answers to frequently asked questions regarding the cleaning and maintenance of our favorite sterling silver jewelry.
- Does Sterling silver turn black?
The black substance formed is silver sulfide and this is a common issue with Silver jewelry. You don’t have to worry since it’s not your fault. It is a natural occurrence.
- How long time it take for sterling silver jewelry to tarnish?
Sterling silver can begin to tarnish in 2 months to 3 years, but that depends on many factors. Depends on how many times you use your jewelry, the place you store them, or the time has exposure to weather conditions. But there is nothing to worry about it. Tarnish is no big deal because there are simple ways to clean and prevent it. With proper cleaning, your jewelry can easily regain its lost shine.
- How do you clean 925 sterling silver?
There is a very simple way to clean your sterling silver jewelry from things you maybe have already at home.
- Add a few drops of liquid dish soap to warm water. For best results use mineral water which has less salt. ( If you want to remove heavy tarnishing add a few drops of white vinegar to the water )
- Soak jewelry in the solution for 15-20 minutes.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush, to clean any crevices.
- Rinse jewelry in warm mineral water.
- To dry, gently rub jewelry with a silver cloth or microfiber towel.
Can I wear a sterling silver ring every day?
Absolutely yes. There is no doubt that Sterling Silver is one of the best metals for everyday wear.
Can I get sterling silver wet?
Yes, you can. But also depends on the quality of the water.